Ok, so my day was pretty much ok, until I got home from work. I suddenly just went into complete panic and started freaking out and crying uncontrollably! I dont know what set it off, but I started panicking about my job. I dont want to stay in this particular job for the rest of my career, not earning enough (which then set me off with how am I able to raise a child when I cant support myself - but lets not get into that now, as I am about to freak out again!)
The problem is, is that I am not really qualified for any corporate job, so how am I ever going to move up in my career? I got a diploma in Musical Theatre - singing, dancing and acting. And that is what a did until I started TTC'ing. A job presented itself and I took it. Salary? Really crap - one up from entry level. I cant do this for much longer.
How am I ever going to sort this out? Basically my job is assisting my boss, who's position was created because he was promoted to another position and drowned. They didnt want to lose him, so they created the position "Special Projects Manager". And I assist him. Our job entails all sorts. We basically do all our other departments once off projects that they dont really have time to focus on, such as, fun projects for our staff (we work in a casino and have 1400 staff) Re designing new uniforms. New access control. CSI - corporate social investments (looking after our charities) etc etc.
So what work can I actually apply for, and who will employ someone (needing an income of more than what I am earning now) that isnt actually qualified in anything?
I have taught myself a little about Photoshop and I can edit music and do very basic video editing - once again, self taught, no diploma or degree.
I really need help please. I cant see myself in this position earning this salary until I retire.
Do any of you have any contacts for me? (I will wait until after my IVF though, cause if I do get pregnant, I want to be covered for my maternity leave)
espn fantasy football logo invalid url
4 years ago

Oh my dear friend. What a situation! I will have a think and let you know! I will find out from my brother up in JHB as well! xxx Good luck and thinking of you!!
ReplyDeleteEve, I am sorry you feel this way. Have you ever considered doing any rep or marketing work? For some reason in the beginning I thought that was what you did! Usually the hours are flexible the pay good and one onlu needs good people skills and knowledge of the company and products/medicine/services that you are marketing. I know many people who couldn;t find any jobs within their line of studies and went on to become very succesful reps. It's just a thought?
ReplyDeleteSweetie, first things first I want to commend you on the subtle bit of positivity that came through this post "I will wait until after my IVF though, cause if I do get pregnant, I want to be covered for my maternity leave", it shows me that your head is in the right place for your upcoming treatment.
ReplyDeleteSecondly, experience is far greater than a degree or diploma. Many companies hire based on confidence, experience and a willingness to learn. I personally haven't hired any 'qualified' persons in my office, rather opting for eagerness to learn and organisational skills, and I've not gone wrong yet, and I am in a professional industry. I think that if you really feel that qualification is important, that you should have a look at what interests you have and browse through Intecs brochures. You can very easily study part time with them.
I hope that you find clarity and that some one in the 'market' will be able to assist you soon.
Nix
XOXOXO
I agree with Nix, I think your head is right for the IVF!
ReplyDeleteOn the work front, that is a difficult position! I am only trained for one thing, can do nothing else. Lately I have thought of changing careers, and have considered psychology. Could you perhaps do a UNISA degree?? Nt a short term fix but perhaps a long term investment??
PS SO sorry you won't make it to the breakfast! No chance at all??
I wish we could all get good jobs with excellent salaries. Why is is that we always have to struggle with crap salaries!
ReplyDeleteI really hope that after your IVF that you will find something, or better - you will get offered something before even looking for it!
Thanks ladies. I dont really know what I want to do, just really wish I had the luxury of working form home! (dont we all??!)Anyway, I am keepinf my eyes and ears open. I hope something gets offered to me, that is meant to be
ReplyDeletePaula, I am trying my hardest to make the breakfast! Will let you know if I am successful!